Austrian dirt bike specialist KTM has introduced a rather special offshoot of the Freeride 250R. Dubbed the Freeride E-XC, this offroad motorcycle is powered by an electric motor. KTM have kicked off a pilot program to research into the viability and consumer interest in the eMoto.
The Freeride E-XC is powered by an electric motor that churns out a claimed 21.5 hp and 42 Nm, all the way from zero rpm. The 260V, 2.6kW-hr battery can be fully charged in just 80 minutes. Since there is no clutch on the eMoto, the rear brake is controlled via a lever on the left handlebar, akin to automatic scooters. The motor is a stressed part of the chassis. The Freeride E-XC comes with three riding modes: Economy, Standard and Advanced.
“KTM has created this pilot program as a way to better understand the level of consumer interest in electric motorcycles, which will assist us in future planning when considering serial production of electric motorcycles in the coming years,” said Tom Etherington, KTM Sales VP for North America. “The exciting part for consumers is that through this pilot program, the FREERIDE E-XC is available for a price that is substantially less than these models would sell for outside of this program.”
Under their pilot program for the Freeride E-XC, KTM have earmarked eleven dealerships and provided them with advanced technical training to service and help maintain consumers’ bikes. Additionally, the eMoto is for sale exclusively at these eleven dealerships for $8299, a difference of just $300 over its gasoline powered counterpart, the Freeride 250R.
The eleven exclusive dealerships are:
• Moto City KTM, Avondale, Arizona.
• 3 Bros KTM of Orange County, Costa Mesa, California.
• CJ KTM of Murrieta, Murrieta, California.
• KTM of Roseville, Roseville, California.
• Malcolm Smith Motorsports, Riverside, California.
• Elite Motorsports KTM, Loveland, Colorado.
• Larsons Cycle, Cambridge, Minnesota.
• Edelman’s KTM, Troy, New York.
• Solid Performance KTM, Downingtown, Pennsylvania.
• Adventure Powersports KTM, McKinney, Texas
• KTM of North Texas, Arlington, Texas